JA BizTown presented by CommunityAmerica Credit Union
Innovative | Bold | Relevant
JA BizTown presented by CommunityAmerica Credit Union is a real-world learning simulation which exists to inspire and prepare youth to succeed. There is no question about it: teaching young people these skills helps them find their passion and design a promising carreer. Today more than ever, young adults need a strong foundation for making intelligent, lifelong, personal financial decisions and for becoming an active member in their community.
To help our future business leaders and employees envision their futures, Junior Achievement has created an immersive real-world learning environment for late elementary and middle school students: JA BizTown
JA BizTown allows students learning at a 4 - 6 grade level to see, touch, and experience "adulting" in a real-life setting of stores, shops, and financial institutions. Before their field trip, future JA BizTown citizens engage in 12 teacher-led learning sessions - empowering lessons which help kids explore financial decision-making concepts and cultivate the entrepreneurial mindset they need to thrive during their upcoming JA BizTown simulation.
The goals of JA BizTown are to:
- Internalize the roles individuals play as citizens, workers, and consumers in their community.
- Convey the importance of citizen rights and participating in community civic life.
- Encourage a basic understanding of the free enterprise system.
- Build money management skills through a practical knowledge of economic concepts and banking practices.
- Foster an understanding of basic business practices and responsibilities.
- Practice and perfect the soft skills necessary for successful participation in the world of work.
How You Can Participate
Volunteers are needed to mentor small groups of students throughout their day at JA BizTown. No special expertise or preparation is necessary and thorough training is provided for all volunteers before the children arrive that day! Individuals volunteers and group volunteer coordinators are encouraged to visit our VolunteerHub Calendar at https://jagkc.volunteerhub.com/ to view upcoming oppportunities at JA BizTown!